CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Race for the Cure

American Cancer Societies Race for the Cure

It seems in this day and time we have all been affected by cancer, whether we have known someone that has fought the valiant fight to see another day or has lost their courageous battle with the disease we all fear. I took the time to think about when I learned first hand what cancer was at the age of 12 or so and my younger sisters best friend was diagnosed with leukemia while still in elementary school. As I watched this young friend fight a fight I thought was so unfair and yet survive to recently send out her wedding announcement. The last many years we have spent watching my grandpa go through monthly skin cancer surgeries to fight against the demise that took his sister at a young age from melanoma. We have also seen the courage of others from young to old, from mothers, fathers, daughters, brothers, friends and loved ones fight the battle and go on before us. To them, we miss you lots and are loved forever.


I had the chance to support my sister and her office team by helping walk the track for 1 1/2 hrs of their 24 hour race. Their team raised some $2000 in about 2 wks. time and then participated in the race. The rules are that someone from the team had to be on the track at all times during the 24 hrs. I had planned on taking the kids with me during the day and walking with all of them, but with temperatures in the 100's, we quickly discounted that idea. I decided to wait until the kids were in bed and head over to walk with my sister, mom, and dad. It was a great experience and was so humbling and emotional to see each of the bags that lined the track with the names of those that have survived the fight and those that have lost their battle. (the picture to the left is of Karyn and me behind the bags of two of my great aunts Chloe and Nadine)

No comments:

Our Family

Thanks for Visiting